Sunday, August 9, 2009

Addicted to braids and nail polish


Finally home from family vacation and attempting to get back into the swing of normal life. The week's weather ended up being really great. Hot, but beautiful. We had a very relaxing trip, even got to ride some bikes around the island. As I rode (with my dad, brother, and sister-in-law) I was reminded that brothers never out grow some things. We were riding on some paths, and Brandon, not content to just ride, is standing on his bicycle seat with one foot. Still not quite enough, he proceeds to bump me on my bike with his bike or ride beside me and hold onto my handle bars, keeping me from going anywhere. Any one who knows me well can imagine the look of "I'm-gonna-get-a-mouth-full-of-pavement" on my face, and the wobbling that followed. He is still the 12-year old boy at times like this. 
I also spent a good amount of time just relaxing on the beach, and half the family 
joined me to play in the ocean one night at sunset. Fun times with boogie boards, frisbees and sand buckets. There is something so amazing about the consistency of the ocean waves. 
And another one of my favorite memories of this trip is how easily I addicted my nieces to nail polish, painting, and braids. One night of manicures turned into touch-ups an average of two times a day. Good stuff. And of course the pigtail braids that would make any little girl a princess. Unfortunately, the princess wasn't so keen on having her braids removed. We dealt with it. 
They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I should be very flattered, I suppose. When I had my paints out working on a landscape for a friend, Grace wanted in on this action. So, when nails were dry, paintbrushes were wet. Great memories!
Summer is finally at an end, so goodbye to vacations and hello to school...  

No comments:

Post a Comment