Saturday, April 24, 2010

Half Marathons are quite the adventure...

Months and eons ago, I signed up to participate in the Country Music 1/2 Marathon! 13.1 miles of screaming family and friends and sweaty people. So, in on this adventure with me, my partner in craziness, was the BFF Betsy. Being the cheesy teachers that we are, Betsy printed up a training schedule to post on the fridge. And what is a chart without some incentive stickers? That's right, absolutely no fun! I chose from my extensive selection of stickers and we charted our progress through 16 weeks of various length runs. We were rockin' the training, until my ankle turned into a cankle and swelled up like a balloon! Awesome, three weeks out and my ankle won't fit in some of my shoes!?! This wasn't supposed to happen!
Okay, time for a plan of action, ice and compress, then repeat. Two days later, totally walkable. So we venture to Crockett Park for a 9 mile run with our friend Jennifer. Here we go. Feeling good. Not a care in the world (except the sweat rolling down my back and the thirst that doesn't want to be quenched). Then the ankle starts feeling... well uncomfortable. And there it is back, *poof*, cankle.
So there it is, I'm out, maybe of the whole marathon, hobbling mostly and barely containing my frustration. Three weeks of this, and add a little worry with a side of STILL eating everything in sight despite the fact that I am not active, oops.
Race day comes and we are up at 5 trying to get pumped up. Arrive at the race, people everywhere, music blaring (it is the Rock 'n Roll Marathon Series after all), and long port-a-potty lines. Jump into corral 22 and wait it out. Getting nervous, excited, ready to do this!
And, we're off! And we run, and run, and run, (and walk a little) and sweat, and wave at familiar faces, and drink some Cytomax (how DO they name these things?), even try some Gu. (Disclaimer: while Gu serves it's purpose of giving that extra boost of energy, it feels slightly like trying to swallow jelly, yum!) But it did the trick, we made it, finish line in sight. Sprint for the finish. Done and done. Fun experience, very glad to have had this experience, thanks Betsy for the encouragement along the way!

Now, to get my calves to stop screaming at me... this is what happens when muscles sit idle for three weeks. Who'd a thunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment